The Axon Flex 2 camera has two operating modes:
- BUFFERING (turning on the camera and starting pre-event buffering)
- EVENT (event recording)
BUFFERING Mode (Turning on the Camera)
To turn on the camera and enter BUFFERING mode, move the ON/OFF switch on the controller to the ON position.
With the camera turned on, the Axon system is in the BUFFERING mode. When BUFFERING begins:
- The Operation LED on the camera will blink green.
- The camera will be capturing video but no audio, and will not record to permanent memory while in BUFFERING mode.
- Buffered video duration is 30 seconds by default (00:00:30).
When you activate the EVENT mode, the buffered video (not audio) captured directly before the event, up to 30 seconds, will be saved and attached to the event in permanent memory. This feature is intended to capture the video of an incident just before your activation of EVENT mode.
With default settings, the system does not capture audio in BUFFERING mode, so anything recorded in that mode will be video-only. Buffering mode starts only after the Axon Flex 2 camera is turned on. The system does not record when the camera is turned off.
Note: An agency can turn off the BUFFERING mode. If your agency has deactivated the BUFFERING mode, your Axon system will operate the same way as described in this manual, but the camera will not record anything until you double-press the EVENT button.
Note: An agency can configure the BUFFERING mode so it records sound as well as video.
Note: An agency can extend the BUFFERING mode up to 2 minutes total (00:02:00).
EVENT Mode (Starting Recording)
- When you need to record, quickly double-press the EVENT button on the controller.
The system now records audio as well as video. The “buffered” video directly preceding the event will be saved and attached to the event recording. (Remember, with default settings, the buffered video will not contain audio.) The moment you double-press the EVENT button, both video and audio will be recorded from the camera and GPS coordinates (if the system is paired to a GPS-capable smart phone) will be recorded. This will continue throughout the duration of the recording until you terminate the recording.
The camera provides you with indications that it is recording in EVENT mode:
- At the start of an event and every two minutes during an event, the system will beep twice.
- The Operation LED on top of the camera will blink red.
- To stop recording and return to BUFFERING mode, press and hold the EVENT button for approximately four seconds. The system will beep once (with a long tone).
- To end a recording and turn off the system, move the on/off switch to the “off” position. When you end a recording with the on/off switch you will not go into BUFFERING mode; instead the system will turn off completely. It is best to stop recording (step 2) before turning the system off.
Note: An event not recorded by the camera cannot be played back or downloaded to your computer.