The Axon Flex system has two operating modes:
BUFFERING mode is the default mode of operation, and it is activated a few seconds after turning on the controller. The camera must be attached to the controller in order for it to capture video in BUFFERING mode. If the camera is not connected to the controller, you will not capture any video.
When BUFFERING begins:
- The Operation LED on the controller will blink green.
- The camera will be capturing video but no audio, and will not record to permanent memory while in BUFFERING mode.
- Buffered video duration is up to 30 seconds (00:00:30).
When you activate the EVENT mode, the buffered video (not audio) captured directly before the event will be saved and attached to the event in permanent memory. This feature is intended to capture the video of an incident just before your activation of EVENT mode.
Note: Because the system does not capture audio in BUFFERING mode, the first 30 seconds of a recorded event will be video-only. Buffering mode starts only after the Axon Flex controller is turned on. The system does not record when the controller is turned off.
Note: An agency can turn off the BUFFERING mode. If your agency has deactivated the BUFFERING mode, your Axon system will operate the same way as described in this manual, but the camera will not record anything until you double-press the EVENT button.
- When you need to record, quickly double-press the EVENT button on the controller. The system now records audio as well as video. The “buffered” video directly preceding the event will be saved and attached to the event recording. (Remember, the buffered video will not contain audio.)
The moment you double-press the EVENT button, both video and audio will be recorded from the camera and GPS coordinates (if the system is paired to a GPS-capable smart phone) will be recorded. This will continue throughout the duration of the recording until you terminate the recording.
The Axon Flex hardware provides you with indications that it is recording in EVENT mode:
- At the start of an event and every 2 minutes during an event, the system will beep twice.
- The Operation LED on top of the controller will blink red.
The camera must be attached to the controller in order for it to record video in EVENT mode. If the camera is not connected to the controller, you will not record any video. If the camera becomes disconnected from the controller during an event, the system will stop recording.
- To stop recording and return to BUFFERING mode, press the EVENT button for approximately 3 seconds. The system will beep once.
- To end a recording and turn off the system, move the on/off switch to the “off” position. When you end a recording with the on/off switch you will not go into BUFFERING mode; instead the system will turn off completely.
Note: An event not recorded by the Axon Flex system cannot be played back or downloaded to your computer.