Axon Enterprise, Inc. recommends conducting a function test prior to the start of your shift. The function test is done to verify the CEW’s core electronics are working properly.
A TASER 7 CEW can be function tested with the cartridges loaded. In fact, it is recommended you perform the test with cartridges installed to reduce stress on the CEW’s components.
To perform a function test:
- Point the CEW in a safe direction.
- With the safety in the down (SAFE) position, press and release both Arc switches simultaneously.
Keep your fingers away from the front of the CEW.
The CEW is now in Function Test mode. The CID will display the firmware version and the battery percentage.
- Shift the safety switch to the up (ARMED) position.
The colors on the CID will be reversed as shown below—the battery and loaded cartridge icons are black, and the background is yellow.
- Press either Arc switch or both Arc switches. The CEW will arc for five seconds.
Use the Arc switch, not the trigger, to perform a spark test. Pulling the trigger will deploy a loaded cartridge.
- Look at the CID and verify:
- there are no fault icons;
- there are two cartridges present; and
- there is adequate battery capacity.
- View the arc from the top or side of the CEW.
Do not point the CEW at your face or have it near your face.
- Verify electricity is arcing across the electrodes on both sides of the firing bay.
- Shift the safety switch to the down (SAFE) position.
- If any of the above verifications fail, return the unit to your agency’s CEW administrator for service.