The API Settings section is only available to Evidence.com agencies who request access to the Evidence.com Partner API. The Axon Evidence.com Partner API provides a programmatic means to access the data in your Axon Evidence.com agency. By developing API-compliant client software or using third-party client software, you can use the Partner API to integrate your Axon Evidence.com agency with other systems.
The API Settings page provides administrators with the ability to ensure that only authenticated and authorized clients can use the Partner API feature to programmatically configure your Evidence.com agency. An API client can request, create, read, update and delete operations on a variety of data resources supported by the API, which include the following object types:
- Category Management
- Managed Metadata
The Partner API is available to all Axon Evidence.com agencies. To request access to the Partner API, contact your Axon representative. If you need assistance developing API client software, Axon Professional Services are available for billable work.
Creating an API Access Client
When you configure access and authorization for an API client, Evidence.com provides the following information:
- Secret — A password that your client must use to authenticate itself to Evidence.com. After Evidence.com authenticates the client, it issues a client a unique token that the client must provide to authenticate itself during API operations.
- Client ID — The unique ID of the API client that you create. This ID is useful only with the Evidence.com Partner API.
- Partner ID — Also known as your agency ID, this is the unique ID of your Evidence.com agency.
Evidence.com shows you the client secret only one time. If you do not save the secret, you cannot view it again later. The information shown when you complete this procedure is required by your API client.
- Sign in to your Evidence.com agency.
- On the menu bar, click Admin and then under Security Settings, click API Settings.
The API Access Clients page appears.
- Click Create Client.
The controls for naming and authorizing the new client appear.
For each API resource, the page provides authorization settings for all currently supported operations. By default, all operations are prohibited.
- In the Client Description box, type a meaningful description of the new client.
- For each resource, choose the access settings that are allowed or prohibited for the new client.
See the Axon Evidence.com API Partner Guide for information on which API methods and URIs are enabled by each access setting.
- Click Save.
Evidence.com saves the client and displays the secret, the partner ID, the client ID, and the client description.
Note: This is the only time you can see the client secret. As soon as you leave the page or click Create Another Client, the secret becomes inaccessible.
- In a secure location, save the secret. It is recommended that you also save the client ID with the secret so that you can determine which client the secret is for.
Your API client also requires the partner ID, which is also referred to as the agency ID; however, you can view the partner ID at any time.