Cases can be created by administrators and users who have the necessary permission settings. For more information about role-based permissions, contact your administrator.
The Add Suggested Evidence feature makes it easy to add evidence to a case while you are creating the case. The feature finds any evidence files that include the ID you search for. For example, if you search for 345, the results would include the evidence file IDs 12345 and 76345.
- On the menu bar, click Cases, then click Create Case.
The Create Case page appears.
- Enter a Case ID, using the format set by your agency.
If any evidence in your agency contains the ID entered into the Case ID field, you will receive a message telling you how many pieces of matching evidence were found.
If any cases in your agency have the same ID that was entered into the Case ID field, you will receive a message telling you that another case has the same ID. However, you can create a case with the same ID as another case.
- Enter an optional description, then click Select Evidence.
Evidence.com searches for evidence files that contain the same ID as the ID you used for the case and lists them as suggested evidence. If no evidence is suggested, you can search for evidence files.
The Select Evidence page lists 100 evidence files at a time. You can add multiple files to a case at one time. To select all of the evidence on the page, select the check box at the top of the list. If more than 100 evidence files match the case ID, you can select 100 at a time and click Next to view the next set of files.
- On the Select page, select the check box to the left of the evidence, then click Add to Case or Review.
- Add to Case lets you add the selected evidence to the case without reviewing it. Once evidence is added to the case, you can click View Case Evidence to see the list of evidence that was added to the case. You can also review the evidence and remove it from the case.
- Review lets you review the evidence files you have selected before adding them to the case. In Review Mode you can view the metadata for the evidence, open the evidence details, or add the evidence to the case.
Adding evidence files is not required to create a case. If you choose not to add any evidence files, you will see a message asking you to confirm that you want to continue creating the case without adding evidence to the case.
- After you have selected the evidence you want to add, click Review Case Summary. The Review Case Summary page opens.
If you have selected evidence but not added it to the case before clicking Review Case Summary, you will see a message stating that you have selected evidence that has not been added to the case. The Add selected evidence to case option is selected by default. If you do not want to add the selected evidence to the case, uncheck the box and click Continue.
- On the Review Case Summary page, review the case information to make sure it is correct or to add any additional information.
If you have Edit Case Retention permission, you can set the Retention for the case. The four supported retention policies are:
- Until Manually Deleted: This option retains all evidence in cases until manually deleted.
- Longest Retention Period: The scheduled deletion date for the case is calculated by finding the longest duration category applied to evidence in the case and adding it to the most recent Recorded On date for any evidence in the case.
- Specified Date: Specify a date that sets how long the evidence in the case is retained.
- Individual Evidence Retention: The case does not impact retention and each piece of evidence in the case is retained based on its own assigned categories and Recorded On date.
Note: Evidence in multiple cases will use the longest retention policy for the cases.
- Click Create Case. The case will be created, and the Case Details page opens.
For more information about the tabs and actions on the Case Details page, see the Case Details Page.