The Summary tab on the Case Details page shows an overview of information about a case. On this tab you can Edit the Case ID, Description, Owner, or Retention of a Case, Add and Remove Tags for a Case, and work with Case Notes.
Edit the Case ID, Description, Owner, or Retention of a Case
- On the Case Detail page Summary tab, click Edit.
- Enter your changes.
- If you are changing the owner of the case, start typing the name of the user in the Owner field that you want to reassign the case to, wait for Evidence.com to show the list of matching users, then click the name of the user you are looking for.
- If you have Edit Case Retention permission, you can set the Retention for the case. Select the retention option for the cases. The four supported retention policies are:
- Until Manually Deleted: This option retains all evidence in cases until manually deleted.
- Longest Retention Period: The scheduled deletion date for the case is calculated by finding the longest duration category applied to evidence in the case and adding it to the most recent Recorded On date for any evidence in the case.
- Specified Date: Specify a date that sets how long the evidence in the case is retained.
- Individual Evidence Retention: The case does not impact retention and each piece of evidence in the case is retained based on its own assigned categories and Recorded On date.
Note: Evidence in multiple cases will use the longest retention policy for the cases.
- Click Save.
Add and Remove Tags for a Case
Tags are labels that you can apply to cases and evidence. You can use tags to filter search results to find a case or evidence more easily.
Tags are located on the Summary tab of the Case Details page. If any tags exist, they appear as tiles. The following figure shows an example of the Tags area that has one tag named “McKinley”.
The following table shows the steps for tag-related tasks:
Add a tag
1. Click Edit on the Summary tab of a Case Details page.
2. In the Tags field, start typing a tag name.
3. If the tag you want to apply appears in the list, click the tag.
4. If the tag doesn’t already exist, add the new tag name, then click Add Tag.
5. Click Save.
Remove a tag
1. Under Tags, find the tag that you want to remove and click X.
2. Click Save.
The Notes section of the Summary tab organizes comments on the case from users, with the newest notes at the top of the section.
To add a note to a case:
- Type in the New Note field, then click Add Note.
To edit or delete an existing note on a case:
- Hover your mouse pointer over an existing note.
- Click the Secondary Actions menu button [ … ] and select Edit or Delete.
- Edit: Make your changes and click Save Note. When you edit a note, the note is updated to list you as the author of the note.
- Delete: Click Delete in the confirmation window.