Axon Body Worn Cameras (BWCs) are widely used by law enforcement agencies and may be placed in a situation where they are exposed to the drug fentanyl. Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic drug similar to morphine and heroin, but 50 to 100 times more potent. Fentanyl can come in several forms including powder, liquid, or pills. Fentanyl can be absorbed through the skin and contact can result in unintended overdose.
The method of fentanyl decontamination for a BWC will be dependent on the severity of the exposure. The solution used to decontaminate the fentanyl chemical will leave behind a sticky residue, which needs to be cleaned when the decontamination is complete. If a BWC is heavily exposed to fentanyl and there is risk that the chemicals have made their way inside the BWC, the inside of the BWC must be decontaminated. This will effectively destroy the BWC, but it must be done to prevent the risk of exposure later. For this reason, this procedure is split into two methods: Light/Surface exposure and Heavy/Internal exposure.
This procedure applies to all Axon BWCs.
DO NOT return contaminated BWCs to Axon. If the BWC must be returned to Axon, conduct the decontamination procedure first, using the appropriate method.
- First Line Technology Dahlgren Decon PDK (Personnel Decon Kit)
- 91% isopropyl alcohol
- Chemtronics CS25 ChemSwab
- Chemtronics CF4050 swabs
- Paper towels or soft clean cloth
- Clean water
Any contact with the BWC is very dangerous until it is decontaminated. WEAR PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT. DO NOT allow the BWC to touch bare skin and DO NOT allow the BWC to cross contaminate other surfaces.
Method 1: Light/Surface Exposure Procedure
Note: This method is to be followed when the fentanyl exposure is limited to the external surface of the BWC. If there is any risk that the contamination expanded to the inside of the BWC, please err on the side of caution and skip to Method 2.
Note: Perform this procedure in a well-ventilated area.
- Isolate the BWC in a safe area that can be cleaned after the decontamination procedure is completed. Lay out the contents of the PDK kit.
- Mix the Dahlgren Decon solution in the provided beaker per the instructions on the kit. Pour the solution into the spray bottle when foaming reaction settles. Contact First Line Technology with any questions on mixing the solution.
- For POV cameras (Axon Flex or Axon Flex 2), keep the controller and DVR connected with the cable.
- Spray Dahlgren Decon on the FIBERTECT wipe until damp. Wipe the entire outside surface of the BWC with one FIBERTECT wipe from the PDK Kit.
- Spray the outside surface of the BWC with the Dahlgren Decon solution, but avoid getting the solution in the USB/Docking port (i.e., cover the port with your finger while spraying).
Note: Spray the surface enough for full coverage, but not so much that it begins to drip.
- Let the Dahgren Decon solution sit on the BWC for 5 minutes.
- Using the other FIBERTECT wipe, wipe the Dahlgren Decon solution from the BWC, taking care to not wipe or drip the solution in the USB/Docking port. The BWC will now be decontaminated and safe to touch. However, the Dahlgren Decon solution will leave a sticky residue.
- On all BWCs and accessories EXCEPT for the Axon Flex 2 camera, use clean paper towels or cloth dampened with 91% isopropyl alcohol (do not pour the alcohol onto the BWC) to clean the outside surface of the BWC where any sticky residue remains.
- Use the swabs to clean all hard to reach areas (Event button, microphone/speaker wells, buttons, etc.).
- Do not allow alcohol to drip into the USB/Docking port.
- Be sure to clean all of the areas of leftover residue to prevent future buildup of dirt or contaminants.
- On the Axon Flex 2 camera, use clean paper towels or a cloth dampened with clean water to clean the outside surface where any sticky residue remains. DO NOT use isopropyl alcohol, as this will damage the camera.
- Allow the BWC to dry for 1 hour.
- Turn on the BWC and test functionality.
- Ensure the BWC powers on successfully.
- Ensure you can pair with and live-view the video feed.
- Ensure that an event recording begins when the event button is double-pressed.
- Ensure the LEDs and/or screen (when applicable) are functional.
- Ensure each button is functioning, as applicable.
- Ensure the event recording ends when the event button is held for 3 seconds.
- Ensure the BWC powers off properly.
- Dock the BWC and ensure proper communication and transfer of files occurs.
- View the event recording and ensure the video and audio (as applicable) quality are not less than prior to the fentanyl exposure.
Method 2: Heavy/Internal Exposure Procedure
Note: This method is for heavy exposure with potential or known internal contamination. This method will likely damage the internal circuits and hardware within the BWC and will render the BWC unusable.
Note: Perform this procedure in a well-ventilated area.
- Isolate the BWC to a safe area that can be cleaned off after the decontamination is complete. Lay out the contents of the PDK kit.
- Mix the Dahlgren Decon solution in the provided beaker per the instructions on the kit. Contact First Line Technology with any questions on mixing the solution.
- For POV cameras (Axon Flex or Axon Flex 2), remove the cable from the DVR and Controller. Place the Controller aside.
- If the BWC has a removable battery, remove the battery using the BWC’s battery replacement procedure. Contact Axon Support at 800-978-2737 for assistance. Place the battery pack aside.
- Using an appropriately sized container, submerge the BWC camera portion (not the battery or controller) and any cables in the Dahlgren Decon solution for 5 minutes.
- Remove the camera portion and cables from the Dahlgren Decon solution and wipe them with the FIRBERTECT wipe.
- WARNING: BWC battery packs and the Axon Flex 2 controller contain lithium ion cells and should NOT be submerged, as they can explode if the cells are not sealed and the lithium is exposed. Dispose of lithium batteries contaminated with fentanyl per laws and regulations as hazardous material.
- Dispose of the camera and cables in a safe and environmentally conscious manner.
Contact Axon Support at 800-978-2737 for assistance.